What questions should you be asking your dog walker or dog trainer?
5 questions everyone should be asking their pet care professional.
- Are you insured? Every pet care professional should have insurance, dont just ask the question, ask to see it. If they are hesitant or refuse then they are best kept away from.
- What training do you have? Just because your pet care professionals have "owned dogs their entire life" doesn't mean they are suitably trained or qualified to care for your dog. Many people have owned cars the majority of their lives too, it doesn't mean they understand them. Ask to see proof of your pet care professionals qualifications or continued professional development (CPD).
- Have you handled my dogs specific issue before? If your dog has any special needs, ask your pet care professional to speak about their experience dealing with the issue. If they don’t have direct experience, ask them how they would handle a theoretical scenario.
- How many dogs do you walk at a time? This is an important question and one you must ask. The more dogs in the group, the less attention on your dog. This number should not be more than 5 at an absolute maximum.
- Can I see your testimonials and recommendations ? Testimonials, recommendations and references are key when looking for the right pet care professional.
Please remember that no pet care professional worth trusting your dog with will mind any of these questions.